Monday, October 3, 2011

I Didn't Quite Cry Like A Little Girl....

Well my little Snark Bugs I'm going to make it official. I think my liver is broken. Or my brain my be actually working, or I have been abducted by aliens: any one of these scenarios is highly plausible. Just when I thought I was going to be able to regale you with climactic and scintillating stories of this past weekend's complete debauchary, I have a confession to make:

I have failed you.

And you better get used to that shit now, you know the lingering garlicesque quality of bitter disappointment. No matter how many times you brush your teeth that shit still sucks.  What can I say Snarksters.... I did not drink at all this weekend.

Wait--

Let me retract that.... I drank a really watered down fruit cocktail with vodka, and by drank I mean I had two sips.

I can hear the feigned outrage and threatened lynchings now, so let's just get to the punch shall we (yes I revel in irony the way some revel in power, or you know glitter and spanx).  It's not that I didn't want to drink per se, in fact I spent most of Saturday afternoon preparing for the onslaught of moonshine I was going to force on my gullet. I drank copious amounts of water, and an Urban Detox drink/elixir.  I had everything planned out... I was going to spend the night at Ms. VampireS's place, we were going to do a little pre-party, the whole thing....... I had a free pass from the phubster to have a good time... and yet when the time came I just couldn't do it.

I know.... pick your jaw up off the floor and keep reading, if you can....

But Becca WHY............ you're asking yourself, or accusingly pointing at the screen and shouting....

Ummm.... to put it in a nutshell--> I felt homesick.

Oh God, and there goes all my hard earned street cred.

So here's the thing, the phubster and I don't see a lot of each other during the week, in fact we don't see each other at all because of our work schedules, locations, etc I actually spend the week with the kids at my parent's house and we don't see him until the weekend.  Well we do see him during the week for dinner and stuff but we don't actually stay together, and Yes, this is by choice.  The money we save on gas, and the stress that's avoided by me not having to rustle the kiddos up early and drop them off is immeasurable, and so for a while, we're traversing down this road.  Obviously it's not all roses and peaches, and for the most part it's pretty much vomit and shit, but it is what it is, so let's just move on....

I had been planning on this party for at least 6 weeks now. It was promising to be an epic night, replete with funny drunken stories, and maybe projectile vomiting. I had a crazy morning trying to get everything together for the phubster so he could take care of the kids, and it took me forever to leave the house because he was being cranky, and the Crybaby was being extra clingy. It was just about World War 3 to get out and get over to Ms. VampireS's place somewhat on time. And I was irritated too. I was really ticked off that the phubster and the kiddos had gotten me all sorts of pissy while I was trying to get into "get drunk party mode" and leave. I was in fact really happy and looking forward to all kinds of inappropriate fun just for spite. Ms. VampireS and I started off at her local nail salon, and the moment I sat down in the chair I knew it... I was screwed, because I was suddenly and desperately homesick for my cranky ass husband and insane kiddos.

But I was committed, and I was determined to push through this, I really was. So I swallowed the lump in my throat, and tried to ignore the texts with pictures of the kiddos from the phubster who really wasn't helping the cause (and I take this tactic to be part of new strategy in his game, which I'm fucking on to, now....), and I was just going to go ahead as planned. Also in part (a particularly large part) I was embarrassed to be feeling like such a sissy crybaby, and not really willing to let Ms. VampireS know about my current blues. So the festitivites continued and I tried to keep it light, and I really wanted to drink, but as we got ready, and got our eyelashes done, and put on my going out face (aka spackle, aka make-up), I just couldn't shake it. I was sure it would get better at dinner, where I would see some more of our mutual friends and for sure have a drink or too, at least to relax.

At dinner I kept meaning to order a drink, really. I did. But the service was kind of God Awful, and the phubster was still blowing up my phone (bastard), and when the food finally arrived I was only too grateful to just inhale, without thinking about drinking. After dinner, I promised myself I was going to have a drink at the bar. I was going to get drunk and dance on top of the bar and make a fool out  of myself, I swore it, but instead, the achy hollow feeling, filled up the space that was meant for my liquor, and pulsed in rhythm to the deafening music. I danced with Ms VampireS, kept the creepers off my girlfriends (and Oh LORD we're there ever some fucking wierdos at the bar), told a drunk guy's homie he better "check his boy" before I do, and made daggerous eyes at some insane fuck that sniffed one of my other friend's neck.

I was told numerous times I should have a drink, and I wanted to, I didn't have a good reason not to, other than the fact that I just couldn't. Couldn't bring myself to imbibe in some "forget the feelings juice" and let loose. I stayed until the bar closed and we all went back to Ms. VampireS's place, where I guilitly broke down and said, "I think I'm just going to go home, the phubster was blowing up my phone all night."  The look on her face could have recdued me to a puddle of toxic waste, but she gracefully aqcuiesed. I suddenly felt guilty, and knew I couldn't fight either feeling as I did the walk of shame back to my car and drove home.

Ms. VampireS I'm sorry. Really. For being such a fucking pussy. Seriously. But I know you're going to forgive me which is why we're such good friends, and I promise that at your Star Wars themed wedding bacholorette party I'm going balls to the walls........................

All the way home, the heavy feeling, like walking through a mucky pond became lighter and lighter as the miles flew under my tires, and when I finally arrived home I quietly went inside, laid down next to the phubster and went to sleep. I felt complete.

The next day I was exhausted, as though I had actually stayed up all night drinking. This is when I realized how incredibly old I'm getting, and that I really shouldn't be out at the bar dancing if I'm not drunk enough to make my muscles loosen up to handle the torture I'm putting it through.

New rule.... I have to stop being such a pussy, and I really need to start doing some yoga or something, because shit, my legs fucking hurt.

So, ever felt homesick as an adult? Please share... emabrassment loves company.....